Powdered milk; is it healthy? The composition of powdered milk and its beneficial properties for the human body. Are there any contraindications for using the product? How is it eaten, and what recipes with its participation are popular among consumers?
Powdered milk is a healthy product that can replace regular cow’s milk. The Powder is affordable, doesn’t deteriorate in hot weather, and doesn’t leak into a lunch bag like a fresh drink. The thickener produces sweets, cereals, savory snacks, and beverages. It is a semi-finished product that can obtain regular milk by dissolving it in water.
Composition and calorie content of powdered milk
Depending on the production technique and composition, milk powder can be whole (SCM), skimmed milk (SOM), or instant milk. So whole milk powder is used instead of whole milk. You can take such a product to the countryside in hot weather and not worry about it getting sour.
The calorie content of whole milk powder per 100 g is 573 kcal, of which:
- Protein – 38 g;
- Fat – 25 g;
- Carbohydrates – 48 g;
- Ash – 6.3 g;
- Dietary fiber – 0 g;
- Water – 0 g.
- The proteins, fats, and carbohydrates ratio: 1: 0, 7: 1, 3.
Vitamins per 100 g of the product:
- Choline – 23.6 mg;
- Vitamin PP – 4.7172 mg;
- Vitamin H – 3.2 micrograms;
- Vitamin E – 0.09 mg;
- Vitamin D – 0.05 mcg;
- Vitamin C – 4 mg;
- Vitamin B12 – 0.4 mcg;
- Vitamin B9 – 5 micrograms;
- Vitamin B6 – 0.05 mg;
- Vitamin B5 – 0.4 mg;
- Vitamin B2 – 1.3 mg;
- Vitamin B1 – 0.3 mg;
- Vitamin A – 50 micrograms;
- Vitamin PP – 0.7 mg.
Minerals per 100 g product:
- Strontium (Sr) – 17 micrograms;
- Can (Sn) – 13 micrograms;
- Aluminum (Al) – 50 micrograms;
- Cobalt (Co) – 0.8 mcg;
- Molybdenum (Mo) – 5 micrograms;
- Fluorine (F) – 20 micrograms;
- Chromium (Cr) – 2 micrograms;
- Selenium (Se) – 2 micrograms;
- Manganese (Mn) – 0.006 mg;
- Copper (Cu) – 12 mg;
- Iodine (I) – 9 micrograms;
- Zinc (Zn) – 0.4 mg;
- Iron (Fe) – 0.5 mg;
- Sulfur (S) – 29 mg;
- Chlorine (Cl) – 110 mg;
- Phosphorus (P) – 790 mg;
- Potassium (K) – 1200 mg;
- Sodium (Na) – 400 mg;
- Magnesium (Mg) – 119 mg;
- Calcium (Ca) 1000 mg
The fat-free mixture is ideal for baking and making other pastries. It is often added to animal feed, included in the diet of those who are losing weight, or in people who are contraindicated for any cholesterol.
The calorie content of skim powdered milk per 100 g is 90 kcal, of which:
- Protein – 9 g;
- Fat – 0 g;
- Carbohydrates – 13 g;
- Dietary fiber – 0 g;
- Ash – 7.93 g.
- Water – 0 g.
- The ratio of proteins, fats, and carbohydrates: 1: 0: 1, 4.
Vitamins per 100 g of the product:
- Vitamin K – 0.1 mcg;
- Vitamin C – 6.8 mg;
- Vitamin B6 – 0.361 mg;
- Vitamin B5 – 3,568 mg;
- Vitamin B2 – 1.55 mg;
- Vitamin B1 – 0.415 mg;
- Vitamin A – 6 micrograms
Minerals in 100 g of the product:
- Zinc (Zn) – 4.08 mg;
- Selenium (Se) – 27.3 μg;
- Copper (Cu) – 0.041 mg;
- Manganese (Mn) – 0.02 mg;
- Iron (Fe) – 0.32 mg;
- Phosphorus (P) – 968 mg;
- Sodium (Na) – 535 mg;
- Magnesium (Mg) – 110 mg;
- Calcium (Ca) – 1257 mg;
- Potassium (K) – 1793 ppm
Instant Powder is a combined product that contains both whole milk powder and skimmed milk powder. Such a powder mixture undergoes a special steam treatment, which turns into a lump. The grains are dried and packaged. Thanks to these processes, they quickly dissolve in water.
The calorie content of instant powdered milk per 100 g is 368 kcal, of which:
- Protein – 35.1 g;
- Fat – 0.7 g;
- Carbohydrates – 52.2 g;
- Ash – 6.3 g;
- Dietary fiber – 0 g;
- Water – 3.96 g.
- The ratio of proteins, fats, and carbohydrates: is 1: 0: 1, 5.
The vitamin and mineral mix in such a product is less extensive than in whole milk powder. At the same time, the instant product is more nutritious and nutrient-rich than a fat-free product.
Interest! 1 teaspoon contains 5 g milk powder and 1 tablespoon – 20 g.
Can I drink powdered milk everyday?
The benefits of powdered milk for the human body can be seen in the following properties of the product:
- Strengthening nail plates, teeth, and oblique skeleton … 100 g of Powder contains the daily requirement of calcium for humans; magnesium, sodium, and other minerals also positively affect bone tissue, hair, and skin condition.
- Optimization of brain function, strengthening of the muscular corset of the body … Potassium is responsible for these processes, of which the powder concentrate contains quite a lot (68% of the daily value for an average person).
- Recovery of the body after a chronic illness, normal digestion … For this, the Powder contains a large amount of phosphorus.
- Strengthen immunity and protect the body from seasonal diseases … The product contains many vitamins C and BA. Some manufacturers specifically add other types of vitamins to the Powder, which makes their products more valuable and attractive to consumers.
Contraindications and harm of powdered milk
A product manufactured by GOST with strict adherence to technology cannot be harmful to humans if consumed in moderate doses. The exception is when consumers are intolerant to specific product components, for example, lactose.
If a person suffers from digestive problems after consuming whole milk, a concentrated powder can cause them the same issues.
You can experience the harm of powdered milk if you use a product made from other ingredients. Whole milk can contain harmful impurities and bacteria. Suppose the manufacturer carefully processes the raw material. In that case, all foreign organisms die during heat treatment and do not fall into the Powder. Unscrupulous companies often save money at this production stage; as a result, their products become dangerous for consumers.
Sometimes manufacturers add various chemical components to the Powder composition to make it tastier for the consumer and reduce production costs. Such a product does not enrich the human body with valuable minerals and vitamins but with harmful toxins. Therefore, experts advise citizens to buy products from experienced manufacturers with a good reputation.
Interest! Scientists note that even healthy people can drink pure milk powder or eat food with a high content of it only in the morning and evening. It is poorly absorbed at other times of the day, which often leads to colic and other unpleasant symptoms.
Features of the production of powdered milk
The industrial production of powdered milk is a complex technical process that cannot reproduce in a home kitchen. Before starting the preparation of the Powder, the company accepts fresh whole milk, checks its quality, and cleans it from impurities that could get into it during the milking of cows and transportation of the product.
Next, the direct production of the dry product begins, which takes place in several successive stages:
- The cream is separated from the milk and then added in small portions to the skim milk. It is necessary to achieve the desired percentage of the product’s fat content upon departure.
- Milk ready for drying is pasteurized, cooled, and condensed.
- All the liquid is evaporated from the concentrated product until it becomes sufficiently focused.
- The pulp with the best density is processed on a unique, innovative platform to achieve the desired product structure.
- The milk material is dried into a powder form in a dryer.
- The finished product is packaged and sent to stores for sale.
As you can see, making homemade milk powder is quite tricky. To do this, you need a lot of different filters, large, powerful equipment, and your chemistry lab.
Recipe for powdered milk
Before you prepare meals, you should dilute the milk powder. Dissolve the Powder in boiled and cooled water in a ratio of 1: 8 – this means that for 200 grams of water, you need 5 teaspoons. Powder or 1 tbsp. l., but with a slide. To homogenize the milk, pour dry Powder into a bowl and add water only in small portions. Stir the mixture constantly so that no lumps form in it. The product is ready to use!
Manufacturers often include detailed instructions on diluting milk powder on their brands. However, if such a guide is not on the package, you buy from the store and follow the general advice above.
Dough with powdered milk is very popular among chefs around the world. It is prepared simply and quickly, and the taste does not differ from the dough kneaded with fresh produce.
Furthermore, simple and cheap recipes with powdered milk for delicious dishes:
- Pies with powdered milk … Mix 5 tsp in a deep bowl. Dry yeast, 1 tbsp. l. granulated sugar, 3 tbsp. l. dry milk, add water (200 ml), and stir until smooth. Leave the dough in a warm place for 20 minutes. Then add 2 tbsp. l. melted butter and 2 chicken eggs. Knead a soft dough. It is essential that the flour is sifted, which is saturated with air and makes the dough fluffy and soft. Let the dough simmer for an hour and a half. Fill the pies with any product: potatoes, fruit, meat, cottage cheese, etc.
- Pancakes with powdered milk … Dilute the SCM with water; add two eggs, a pinch of salt, and a few tablespoons of sugar to taste. Then beat thoroughly with a mixer. Add flour. To prevent lumps, pour a small amount of pancake liquid into a glass and dilute 10 tbsp. l. flour. The mass should come out thick and without lumps. After that, diluted flour is mixed with most eggs and milk. Stir the dough again. Pour 2 tbsp. Into the finished solution. l. vegetable oil. Start baking pancakes and have fun!
- Pizza with powdered milk… Heat the diluted SCM to 40 degrees. Add 5 tsp. Dry yeast, one chicken egg, a pinch of salt (as much as possible), 1-1, 5 tbsp. l. sugar, 2 tbsp. l. olive oil or sunflower oil. Beat the mixture and knead the dough – you need 2 cups of flour (260 g). Let the finished dough rise in a warm room for an hour. Knead the dough grown and let it spread again for 1 hour. While the dough is rising, add the filling and the pizza sauce. To prepare it, combine 30 ml of olive oil, a few fresh basil leaves, 30 g of crushed walnuts, 2 cloves of garlic, and 30 ml of lemon juice. Season the mixture with sea salt to taste and turn it into a smooth paste. To prepare the filling, fry 0.5 kg of chicken and grate 400 g of your favorite hard cheese. Once the dough is ready, start assembling the pizza: roll it out and warm it a little in the oven (about 15 minutes). Spread the sauce over a hot base, and spread the filling over it. Bake until cooked through. Garnish with basil leaves or chili pepper.
- Powdered milk sweetener … 350 g of sugar is dissolved in a 100 g glass of water. Boil the resulting mass and keep it on low heat for a few minutes until it thickens completely. Turn off the heat, add 100 g of butter and stir well. After that, 250 g of milk powder is added to the syrup. Stir the mixture well to avoid lumps. The candy vacuum is almost ready. Now it needs to be seasoned with various spices of your choice: a pinch of cardamom, vanilla, cinnamon, etc. Leave the mass for sweets in the refrigerator for half an hour. Then shape sweets from the chilled dough (choose any shape). Dip them in cocoa, and you’re done! The candy can be stored in a container in the refrigerator for 5 days.
- Rice vanilla drops with milk powder … Rinse with 100 g of rice, and fill it with 800 ml of water. Bring to a boil, and then add 80g of MCM, 3-4 tbsp. l. sugar, 1 tsp. Vanilla sugar, a pinch of salt, and cook until tender. Decorate with chocolate or caramel topping before serving.
Interesting facts about powdered milk
According to official records, the production of powdered milk began in the 19th century. Then, the American chemist M. Brain officially patented the recipe for this product and started its mass production.
But it is believed that it produced concentrated Powder before. Even in ancient times, it was popular with nomads. Then, to get it, ordinary milk was dried in the sun, which under the influence of rays turned into a kind of Powder. Because milk powder was very satisfying and healthy, it became indispensable for long walks.
In modern times, powdered milk is even added to baby food. It is included in the list of goods provided to those who need it within social assistance from various charitable organizations.
SCM is an essential product for athletes. Due to its favorable properties, Powder is used in almost all sports supplements. It is often used in place of protein to build muscle.
Another interesting fact. During evaporation, many substances that are beneficial for human health disappear from the milk. The higher the temperature at which milk is heated, the fewer vitamins remain in it. Therefore, dry extracts from different manufacturers contain completely different amounts and amounts of valuable vitamins and minerals. In this regard, the most helpful milk powder was when the first attempts were made to produce it. The researchers then evaporated the product at 70–80 ° C, and almost all the vitamin and mineral composition of whole milk was in it.
Modern manufacturers put the utility of their products in the background; for them, the main thing is to increase production volume and reduce waste. Therefore, milk is often boiled at 180 ° C. Furthermore, soy or starch is added to the Powder composition, which significantly reduces the quality of the product.
Important! To avoid buying second-class products with third-party additives in the store, carefully read the information on the label. If it indicates that the product complies with GOST, it is natural, and you can safely buy it. In cases where the Powder is meant to meet the specifications, you should consider its quality. The manufacturer develops technical conditions and unique structures of the state produce GOST.
Powdered milk is an unquestionably healthy product that both adults and children can consume. It is believed that GOST produces high-quality Powder. The calorie content of milk powder depends on its recipe: today, food powder (low-fat) Powder and a product with a high percentage of fat from whole milk are produced simultaneously. Therefore, each person can choose a semi-finished product according to taste and weight!